Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Further dispatches from the blackboard jungle

So this is what our dining room table has become :-


- a repository for Headway, Cutting Edge, New English File, In Company, Business Focus, Practical English Usage, The Practice of English Language Teaching, and the blessed Jim Scrivener's Teaching English Grammar. Books full of phrasal verbs and ten minute filler exercises for those awkward moments when you look at the clock and realise you're going to under-run.

It's a very strange job, you know. This week I've had to prepare : a lesson for teenagers explaining the magic of the traditional English Christmas via the music of Slade; two hours of business material for an honorary consul; and a lesson on the restoration of Jan van Eyck's The Annunciation (the art restorer wanted a lesson with some technical vocab). Yeah, it's certainly the strangest job I've ever had. It's almost certainly the best job I've ever had, as well.

Caroline...well, Caroline, faced every day with an army of bellowing teenagers, might not go as far as that. Still, she came back from a morning's teaching on Friday and happily announced that it had "not been horrible". I almost felt we should crack open a bottle of prosecco!

7 comments:

  1. What can a person do but smile for the two of you! What different teaching experiences you are having. Character building, right??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one way of looking at it Yvonne! Slightly staggered to tot it up today & find I am teaching *370* teenagers a week!! Shame I'm not paid per head, eh?

      Delete
  2. I was beginning to think your job was perfect until you got to explaining the magic of the traditional English Christmas via the music of Slade! Ah well, can't have everything. Meanwhile I'm feeling for Caroline. Happy holidays to you both x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really object to Slade, but even I have to admit that it palls a bit after playing it three times every lesson! Something to bear in mind next time. Best wishes to you and yours, Vee.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Phil. And here's hoping 2013 is a stupendous one for you and Caroline x

      Delete
    3. Hi Vee, and the same to you and DH! Hope we may see you in October?

      Delete
    4. Thanks Caroline. I'm really sorry but I shall probably be heading to Asia in October, so won't be able to make the Biennale this year. Never mind. Another time I hope.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.