Saturday, 9 March 2013

High Office

Well, March 4th has come and gone. One year since we arrived and sat outside a bar in an increasingly chilly Campo San Barnaba, trying not to become too concerned as the shadows lengthened and the agent for our flat obstinately refused to answer the phone.

One year on, another one (at least) lined up, and much to write about. Trouble is, work is a bit mad at the moment so it'll have to wait a bit. Still, a year ago, I'd have been delighted to think I'd be writing those lines.

Work, then. Very busy at the moment. The surprising thing is how much of it has been in schools. More than half of my work, and pretty near 100% of Caroline's. This wasn't something either of us had anticipated. And if we had anticipated it, it sure as hell wouldn't have been something we'd have been looking forward to. Schools? Children? US? To be fair, we'd been told back in the days of TEFL training "if you want to work in Italy, you'll have to teach children"; but we'd chosen to ignore that.
 
And yet, the other day I came back from work, positively bounded through the door, and announced to Caroline that not only did I like  teaching in schools, but that I actually enjoyed it more than 1-1 adult classes. At which point she told me I was becoming hysterical, and could she have her old, normal, grumpy hubby back please...

Anyway, Italian schools. I do like the way they're named after the great and the good. I mean, when I was a lad I went to the imaginatively named Baglan primary school (so called because it was in Baglan), Bishopston comprehensive school (so called because it was in Bishopston), and the Greenhill school, Tenby (so called because it was in Tenby, and there had probably been a green hill there before they built a school on top of it).

But Italian schools sound far more inspiring. I teach at the Scuola Ungaretti (named after a modernist poet) and the Istituto Gramsci (Marxist philosopher). Caroline teaches at Giordano Bruno (philosopher, heretic, possible crimefighter) and  Marco Polo (writer, explorer and...oh look, you know who Marco Polo was...).

On Monday I start at the Scuola Quirinale. In case you don't know, the Palazzo del Quirinale is the official residence of the President of the Republic. The current incumbent, Giorgio Napolitano, steps down in two months, leaving something of a vacuum at the heart of Italian politics, and a great deal of soul-searching in the nation as people wonder who can possibly replace him at this most critical time in Italian history.

Clearly someone needs to step up to the plate. So, on Monday, I prefer to say not that I am heading off to school; more that I have been called to the Quirinale...

4 comments:

  1. I always look forward to the latest Venice Project plopping into my mailbox, and this one was worth waiting for.

    Auguri, you folks have come along way in just one short year. I think I have mentioned before, I'm like a proud but anxious parent on the sidelines here. So, it seems I can safely turn my attention to the other siblings! The only point of concern is your new found hysteria, linked with Caroline's preference for the grumpy you. Work on that, please.

    Seriously, well done you two. When you sit down and look back at those 12 months, what a trip it has been! (And, there was a lot going on before then, too.) Yes, there's a book in your story, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness... 12 months already?! The night at Dogs in Edinburgh seems a mere spit away not a whole year. Still, well done to you both and I look forward to hearing what the next 12 months brings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both. My goodness me, yes, I find it hard to believe it's been a whole year since we left Edinburgh.

      Sorry to hear the "Spin" trip might not work out this year, Vee. Hopefully we can meet up for a swift half in Edinburgh, if we're back for a visit.

      Elsewere, well, there's plenty to write about...one of these days, if I ever get any time off work, I might even get round to writing it all up!

      Delete
    2. Would love to meet up in Edinburgh if at all possible.

      And as to writing it all up... get it done!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.